KUALA LUMPUR - Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s lawyers today declared
that their client will sue those who spread malicious lies about him
until they are bankrupt, after filing a defamation suit against pro-Umno
blogger “Papa Gomo” for allegedly attempting to link Anwar to a sex
video.
“We’re going to take civil action. We will bankrupt those who
continue doing this, this kind of filthy lies,” Anwar’s (picture) lawyer
N. Surendran told reporters at the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex today.
Earlier, he said that there would be more defamation suits against
“Papa Gomo” or Wan Muhammad Azri Wan Deris if he continues posting
allegedly defamatory material on his blog www.papagomo.com.
“Everytime Papa Gomo issues defamatory accusations, obscene
photographs, defamatory videos, we will keep suing him until this man is
bankrupted,” the PKR vice-president said.
Surendran also said that Anwar will not be lodging a police report or
filing a complaint to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia
Commission (MCMC) on this matter, saying that they are opting for court
action instead.
Latheefa Koya, another lawyer representing Anwar, similarly told
reporters that there was no need to file a complaint with MCMC, saying
the regulatory body has powers to act even without a complaint.
In the suit filed against Papa Gomo, Anwar is seeking damages and an
injunction to stop the blogger from republishing the alleged defamatory
accusations.
Surendran said they will ask for RM100 million in damages, saying
that the suit was filed after Wan Muhammad had failed to retract his
blog postings and apologise to Anwar within a two-day deadline from this
Tuesday.
In the statement of claim filed today, references were made to three
blog postings by Papa Gomo that contained allegedly defamatory words and
photographs.
In the first posting last Saturday, the blogger had posted a single photograph showing the naked back of a man in a room.
The page also provided a link to another blog page called “Aksi si
Raja Goyang”, which published 13 photographs showing two men embracing
and kissing, believed to be from the same video.
Last Saturday, Anwar had denied being involved in the photographs, saying: “It is a disgusting political gimmick by Umno.”
On Tuesday, Surendran had said the photographs were fake and were
merely a bid by Anwar’s political enemies to tarnish the opposition
leader’s image ahead of Election 2013, which must be called by April 28
and held by late June.
“The faking and distribution of photos and false allegations of a
sexual nature against Anwar has become a trademark of the gutter
politics practised by Umno and its bloggers,” he had said.
Surendran had then claimed that Papa Gomo has “close and confidential ties with the Umno leadership”.
Last year, there was an attempt to link Anwar to a sex scandal after
the release of a video by the “Datuk T trio”, namely former Malacca
Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Thamby Chik, businessman Datuk
Shazryl Eskay Abdullah and former Perkasa treasurer-general Datuk Shuib
Lazim.
Anwar denied being the man in the sex video and lodged a police
report against the trio a day after they screened the video to the
media.
On June 24 last year, the “Datuk T” trio admitted to screening the
sex video and were fined a total of RM5,500 by magistrate Aizatul Akmal
Maharani.
Shazryl Eskay and Shuib had been jointly charged with openly
screening pornographic material while Rahim was charged with abetting
them.
During their defence, the court heard that an American expert had determined that the man in the video was Anwar