Friday 5 April 2013

Homeless old man needs aid

DESTITUTE: Muniandy Kolandai, 74, has been living in a basement car park for 18 months

GEORGE TOWN: A SEPTUAGENARIAN  has been spending his nights  in a  basement car park, here, for 18 months.
Muniandy Kolandai, 74, has been sleeping on bedding consisting of a thin and worn out mattress and recycled material.
The car park is used by stall operators at the Penang Island Municipal Council (MPPP) food court and residents of nearby flats in Farlim.
Muniandy said he had tried to make the place as cozy as possible.
"It isn't a palace but it is more comfortable than staying in the streets. It is better to have a roof above my head than having none," said Muniandy.
Muniandy said he feared for his life because drug addicts would harass him at night.
He said he had applied for welfare aid two years ago but did not get a response.
"I stopped working as a lorry assistant seven years ago and I have used up all my savings.
"I have been living on my own and don't have any relatives in the area to stay with."
He had stayed in flat in Medan Angkasa for three months but wasevicted out when he couldn't pay the monthly rent of RM150.

Muniandy said his health had been deteriorating and  he was blinded in his right eye in an accident at a barber’s shop two years ago.

“My right eye is completely blind and I have very poor vision in my left eye. My body is worn out due to old age.”

He said  he often  received food from kind passers-by.

 Penang Hindu Association deputy president P. Murugiah  urged the  authorities to help Muniandy.

“He will be sent temporarily to the Bethesda Home shelter.
“I urged the Welfare Department to step in to provide financial aid and a home for him,” added Murugiah.
 Donations can be sent to the Penang Hindu Association at No 9-3-1 Bukit Awana Condo, Jalan Bukit Kukus, Paya Terubong, 11060 Pulau Pinang or banked into Muniandy’s Maybank account 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Followers